Thursday, November 1, 2012

Post Blog 10/31 Courtney Sparling


I thought it was really ironic that we have been looking at Star Wars in class and in our readings (Jenkins) and then we hear about how Disney purchased Lucasfilm for around $4 billion! Now another  film is in the works and fans are left to wonder what will happen now that Darth Vader has collided with Mickey Mouse. 

I also find it interesting that George Lucas (previous owner of Lucasfilm) is pleased to pass down his legacy to Disney and wants them to keep creating more and more. I still wonder how this new film is going to turn out with Disney holding the reins now. I am even more curious as to see how devoted fans will react after it is released.


I liked how we talked more about the painting The Scream, by Munch. I love the original Home Alone movie and loved how it played off of the painting. Then there is The Scream toy, which I thought was pretty creepy, but more importantly shows commodity in a totally different place. I think that this version of The Scream mixed with Home Alone is pretty funny!


Discussing nostalgia in class immediately made me think of the old-fashioned 50s themed diners that we see still thriving today. I personally like to eat at those types of diners, because they do kind of transport you back into a different time, and the change is welcome, since we do seem to have trouble with our present. I think the appeal to the 50s diners is one that comes up quite frequently. I think the coolest one is the 50s Prime Time Cafe in Disney's Hollywood Studios Park right here in Orlando.






No comments:

Post a Comment