Friday, November 30, 2012

Post Blog 11/28 Courtney Sparling

After Wednesday's class, I feel as though everything we have studied throughout the course of the semester has come full circle. Especially after reading and discussing Appadurai and watching the TED talk, I really feel that theory isn't just something just for scholars. As students, we can use it and see it taking form in our everyday lives. I think that it is most fascinating to read theorists' work that were written such a long time ago, before any modern technologies that we have today were even imagined, and see how it connects so eerily to what is actually happening. It is as if these theorists have predicted what couldn't have possibly been known, but somehow they do! I think that is my favorite part of theory that I have been introduced to this semester. For never having read theory and analyzed it so deeply before this class, I was pleasantly surprised with how much I could relate to it and how interesting it really was!


I really liked how in class, looking at Appadurai specifically, we paired up with a classmate and tried to define the 5 different streams of global culture flows in our own words. Ethnoscapes, financescapes, technoscapes, mediascapes, and ideoscapes, in my opinion, as I listened to my other classmates speak, is that they all overlap and create instability within each other's interactions around the world. These all are the heart of the disjuncture of the world that Appadurai speaks of in this reading. Our world dysfunctions.  





No comments:

Post a Comment